Hosted by MEP Pavel Poc, Vice-Chair of the ENVI Committee
When: 31st January 2018, 15h00 - 19h00
Where: Brussels, European Parliament, room A5E2
Simultaneous interpretation: EN, IT, FR
The symposium is web-streamed live on the following websites (in English, French and Italian):
Local debates will be organized in:
Switzerland: Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), (more info: www.fibl.org)
Germany: IBMA Austrian/Germany and University of Hohenheim
Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala BioCenter, (more info: margareta.hokeberg [at] slu.se)
Portugal: Quercus and several Universities (more info: www.quercus.pt)
14.00 - 15.00 Coffee and Cake
15.00 - 15.20 Welcome by our host Pavel Poc MEP, Vice Chair of the ENVI Committee
- Introduction by Michael Hamell, Professor of Agriculture, University College Dublin (chair and moderator).
15.20 - 16.30 The arable sector in EU – where are we heading?
- Soil threats in Europe: Status, methods, drivers and effects on ecosystem services by Luca Montanarella JRC.
- How pesticides are affecting earthworms by Celine Pelosi INRA Versailles and soil bacteria and funghi by Fabrice Martin-Laurent INRA.
Debate: with speakers and MEPs Nicola Caputo and Pavel Poc
16.30 - 17.40 Debate: mainstreaming IPM in arable – what can achieve it now?
- Cereal farmer from France – Jean-Bernard Lozier.
Durum wheat producer in Basilicata and member of Cia-Agricoltori Italiani - Leonardo Moscaritolo.
5 minutes reactions from: Evert Hamblok Koppert Pseudomonas product as the first successful microorganism based product widely used in arable crop, Elisa Beitzen-Heineke Biocare for controlling insects pests with dromes and Paolo Barberi Sant’Anna University Pisa for integrated weed control based on rotations and mechanical control.
17.40 - 18.50 Debate: integrating IPM fully into EU policy making and practices
- Tassos Haniotis, Director European Commission DG AGRI.
- Paola Colombo, Director European Commission DG SANTE.
Debate: with speakers and MEPs: Jytte Guteland, Karin Kadenbach
18.50 Conclusion by Michael Hamell and Pavel Poc
19.00 End of conference
Chairman's Conclusions by Michael Hamell
For further information see:
"IPM working with nature", giving some concrete examples on what IPM should actually mean according to the EU Directive on Sustainable Use of Pesticides
Presentations of earlier years SUD symposiums:
- 2017: http://www.pan-europe.info/events/conferences/5th-annual-symposium-sustainable-use-directive-pesticides
- 2015: http://www.pan-europe.info/what-we-do/conferences/symposium-feeding-europe-while-reducing-pesticide-dependency;
- 2014: http://www.pan-europe.info/what-we-do/conferences/feeding-europe-fewer-pesticides;
- 2013: http://www.pan-europe.info/what-we-do/conferences/feeding-europe-less-pesticides;
- 2012: http://www.pan-europe.info/what-we-do/conferences/what-future-integrated-production
PAN Europe gratefully acknowledges the financial support from the European Union, European Commission, DG Environment, Life programme. Sole responsibility for this event lies with the authors and the funders are not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.