With English translation
Without translation (original)
With Italian translation
With French translation
To comment the live, use the #7thSUDSymposium on social media !
The annual PAN Europe-IBMA-IOBC symposium will be held on Thursday 12th December.
On this occasion, scientific knowledge and practical testimonies will be presented to feed the debate on how European policies could help accelerate the necessary ecological transition towards a safe and environmentally-sound agriculture.
Who: This Symposium will be hosted by MEPs Martin Hojsik and Fredrick Federley (Renew Europe)
When: December 12th 2019, 9.00 to 13.00 with Welcome Coffee at 8.30
Where: at the European Parliament, room PHS 5B1
Simultaneous interpretation: EN, IT, FR
For more information on the symposium, see the final programme
To know more about our speakers, read their biographies here
9.15-9.30 Welcome and introduction by Tomas Garcia Azcarate (Deputy Director IEGCCSIC, Madrid - Chair and Moderator)
9.30-10.15 Key note speeches
- Reflections and post-electoral expectations regarding the sustainable use of pesticides – presentation by Martin Hojsik (MEP, Renew Europe)
- Which policy and technical tools will be offered in France to ensure the ecological transition by Florence Jacquet, Research Director in the French National Research Agency (INRA)
10.15-10.45 How to engage farmers in the ecological transition
- Desired compliance or business opportunity: How to frame the ecological transition in farming? by Erik Mathijs, Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Leuven, Belgium
- Designing policy instruments for ecological transition: The importance of understanding farmers’ motivation and decision styles by Helle Ørsted Nielsen, Department of Environmental Science, University of Aarhus, Denmark
10.45-11.00 State of Play: The uptake of alternatives across Europe
IBMA/PAN Europes sectoral and geographical mapping of uptake of organic production methods and use of non-chemical alternatives including biocontrol technologies.
11.00-11.40 Farmers experience in the uptake of alternatives to fungicides
- The use of alternatives in fighting fungal diseases in vine grapes, Alex Valsecchi, UK farmer
- The use of alternatives to fighting fungal diseases in rice, Paolo Mosca, Italian farmer
- The use of alternatives to fighting fungal diseases in arables, Jean-Francois Monod, French farmer
11.40-12.30 Debate: What policy actions at EU-level are needed to ensure the ecological transition of the agricultural sector
Martin Hojsik (Renew Europe), Michal Wiezik (EPP), Franc Bogovič (EPP), Jytte Guteland (S&D), Sarah Wiener (Greens/EFA), Jeremy Decerle (Renew Europe);
Debating with: Andreas Gumbert (European Commission, DG ENVI), Andrew Owen Griffiths (European Commission, DG SANTE), Gijs Schilthuis (European Commission, DG AGRI), David Baldock (IEEP)
12.30 Conclusion by David Cary (IBMA) - reflections on alternatives based on the 7 Symposia
For further information see:
'IPM working with nature', giving some concrete examples on what IPM should actually mean according to the EU Directive on Sustainable Use of Pesticides
Presentations of earlier years SUD symposiums:
PAN Europe gratefully acknowledges the financial support from the European Union, European Commission, DG Environment, Life programme. Sole responsibility for this event lies with the authors and the funders are not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.