Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Europe is a non-profit organisation working to eliminate dependency on chemical pesticides and have them replaced with ecologically sound alternatives. Our vision is of a world in which high agricultural productivity is achieved by truly sustainable agricultural production systems in which agrochemical inputs and environmental damage are minimised, and where local people control local production using local varieties. PAN Europe is one of five regional centres of the international Pesticide Action Network (PAN), together representing 600 non-governmental organisations, institutions and individuals in over 60 countries worldwide.
The position is an opportunity to gain in-depth understanding of EU policies relevant to biodiversity, pesticide use, agriculture and chemical residues in food, as well as valuable hands on experience in a pan European environmental advocacy NGO. In particular, the intern will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Supporting external communication and campaigning activities, including online communication, written communication materials and event organisation;
- Conducting background research and contributing to the preparation of both technical and policy reports;
- Following up policy developments in the areas listed above;
- Supporting general administrative tasks of an NGO.
The position is based in Brussels, though teleworking will be possible if recommended by Belgian public health authorities.
The successful candidate will be expected to start in September 2020, for a duration of 4 to 6 months depending on the profile of the candidate.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A university degree (or enrolment in a university) in a relevant area (European Affairs, environment, agronomy, etc.);
- Enthusiastic about protecting people and the environment from the harmful effects of pesticides.
- Familiarity with the EU decision-making process;
- Good communication and writing skills;
- Fluency in English is essential. Other languages are an asset;
- Experience in event organisation is an asset;
- Good interpersonal skills, at ease with approaching and interacting with external stakeholders;
- Quick learner, ability to grasp complex concepts rapidly;
- Strong research and analysis skills;
- Excellent user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Graphic design skills are an asset.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please send a CV and motivation letter in English to info [at] pan-europe.info by Wednesday, 22 July, clearly mentioning "Communication and Policy Intern" in the email subject. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview. Interviews are scheduled to take place on 29-30 July.
The contract will be a "convention d’immersion professionnelle".